School Tzedakah Projects
When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of
another. – Helen Keller
CKI's Religious School has always been committed to Tikkun Olam – Repair the World – by participating in various Tzedakah and Mitzvah projects throughout the school year.
The amazing results of all of these projects are a Miracle in the lives of those who receive from our small school's generosity.
Some of our past Tzedakah projects have included:
- Helping victims of Hurricane Katrina
- Collecting food for the Somerset County Food Bank
- Collecting personal items for the Somerset Home for Displaced Children
- The Women's Resource Center (which aids women and children affected by domestic violence)
- Planting trees in Israel
- Operation Promise, to help bring Ethiopian Jews to Israel
- "Pennies for Patients" for the Leukemia Foundation, to help children with cancer
- The Interfaith Hospitality Network
- Foster and Adoptive Family Services "Fostering Wishes for Children"
- A Jump Rope for Heart Mitzvah Day in memory of past temple president, Michael Barr. Our students raised $2545.
- Participating in the "Autism Speaks" Walk. Thirty members of CKI raised over $3,500.
- We collected nearly 30,000 soda can pull tabs to benefit the Ronald McDonald House in New Brunswick!
Also, our 3rd and 4th grade classes went to the Ronald McDonald House to cook dinner for the families
staying there while their children were treated at Robert Wood Johnson Medical
We held a "Bagging for Charity" day at Shop Rite in Bound Brook and collected $600 to help the
Jewish Federation of Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren Counties raise money for ELI, the Israeli Association for Child Protections.
Tzedakah for S'derot - S'derot, a town bordering the Gaza Strip has been under constant fire from
Hamas Kassam rockets. Shelters are now scattered all over the town: in the public area and
at bus stops, marketplaces, libraries, soccer fields, and schools. B'nei Akiva, a British youth movement, is raising money to help build playground
shelters to protect the children of S'derot.
- We raised almost $300 to help purchase a refrigerator truck for Meir Panim, through the Jewish Federation of Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren Counties
Meir Panim is a relief organization in Israel that runs soup kitchens, delivers hot meals to shut-ins and needy students, and provides financial aid to victims or terror attacks.
- Our Mitzvah of Love Dance-a-thon
raised over $3100 for Israel's Alyn Hospital for Children.
In addition, two of our Bat Mitzvah students took on this charity as their Tzedakah project, and raised an additional $2500!
- Our Tzedakah project for HomelessBus.org (a "Mom & Pop" organization that helps the homeless in NYC)
raised: $430 in cash (enough for 874 hamburgers), several boxes of backpacks and donated items, and $580 in "Sponsor a Backpack" donations.
- We worked with the Jewish Federation of Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren Counties, and raised $285 to provide much needed
assistance to elderly Holocaust survivors in the New Jersey area.
CONGREGATION KNESSETH ISRAEL
229 Mountain Avenue
Bound Brook, NJ